Welcome to econogreenomics 101!

My original goal was to demonstrate that not buying any new gear for a year can be done in a way that is challenging, fun and allows me to still be (or try to be) sassy!

The main goal for the compact year was...

To live with high standards below my means, utilizing available resources and opportunities! Ya-Hoo!

Reduce - Reuse - Recycle - Restore

Although I am not "officially" doing the Compact any longer, I have adopted the traits of a "compactor." I am continuing to stay on my green path of less is more! It is always a work in progress, but the journey is a fun one, filled with lots of polyester, crinoline and coupons!




Thursday, May 1, 2008

earth day every day...

hello all! no, i didn't forget i had started a blog... i'm sorry for the long dry spell.

i have been fairly pleased with the recognition of earth day this year. i am also
excited for all of the green movements beginning. maybe those of considered
radical environmentalists won't be seen as such freaks after all...? we'll see...

so, no major set backs recently. although i am totally wanting atmosphere's
new album as well as a t-shirt from the store. grrr, i guess i'll have to wait.
i did make an earth purchase, i bought a drying rack. i am in love with it. i
never thought i would be able to live without a dryer, but i am figuring
out. i was called out on my purchase by numero uno immediately, who told me
in no uncertain terms, that i wasn't being a faithful compacter. but i figured
the purchase of new was off set by the fact that i would be reducing my
dependence on the electric dryer.

the drying rack works well for most items, with the exception of jeans. drying
jeans, no matter how much fabric softener i use, is not a good thing. it's like
they have been shellacked, and the boys end up walking around like mini
soldiers. which is not a look i am going for. suggestions?

my other new purchase... a book. i bought new, the last lecture. i bought it new
because there was a wait at the library, and felt my spirits could really use the
type of inspiration offered up by the prof. it has worked. the man is amazing.
and i have every intention of sharing it with others... but not before i reread it.

i have a job interview coming up! i am psyched about it. it seems like a good fit,
and they seem interested, so we shall see what develops. it wold be nice to be part of
an organization again, and having awesome colleagues, as well as a steady income.

more later...

1 comment:

Carrie Watts said...

Dude! Write more! I want to know how you're compact is going. I'm watching you....

A Budget for Green - Every Little Bit Helps

I am fully aware that to reduce my carbon footprint to the fullest, I would need to buy and shop locally, eat organically, be a vegan or vegitarian, use public transit or drive a hybrid, use alternative energy sources, and among other things minimize my consumerism to the max.

I am not perfect. Far from it. But I do want to make a difference and do my part and be the best example I can to my children and others who will inherit this earth.

Given that I do not always have the means to always eat organically, as much as I would like to, and that my budget restricts me from being the eco-warrior I would like to be to the fullest extent, I do what I can. In my dream world, I live in a tiny, LEED certified house and drive a hybrid. (one day)

It is disheartening that for many of us our carbon footprints are larger because we do not have the means to afford a more sustainable lifestyle. Although I think it is getting easier to make larger green steps on smaller budgets.

With my limited means I try to make changes and continue what I have been doing to spend less, consume less, and raise my standard of living, while hopefully minimizing my impact on the planet.

Small budget... big goal. Econogreenomics.

Every little bit helps... and small changes can lead to big results. Less really can be more!